Private 16512 Arthur Eades

Killed in Action on Wednesday, 24th November 1915, age 25.
Commemorated on Panel 73 to 76 of Loos Memorial, Pas De Calais, France.

2nd Bn., South Staffordshire Regiment. 6th Brigade of 2nd Division.

Husband of Julia Eades, of 16, New Cross St., Tipton, Staffs.
Born: Tipton, Enlisted: Tipton, Resident: Unknown.

First landed France & Flanders, 25th May 1915.
Medal entitlement: 1914-15 Star, British War Medal, Victory Medal.
Soldier's Papers at National Archives did not survive.

Commemorated on the Tipton Library Memorial.
Commemorated here because he appears on a Tipton memorial.

Link to Commonwealth War Graves Site: www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/2941722/

Genealogical Data

1901 Census
8 New Cross Street, Tipton, Staffs.
John Eades (58, Labourer in Iron Works, born Tipton), and his 3 children: John T. (29, Stoker, born Tipton), Robert (18, Labourer in Iron Works, born Tipton), and Arthur (12, born Tipton).

1911 Census
27 New Cross Street, Tipton, Staffs.
Arthur Eades (22, Steel & Iron Sawyer, born Tipton), his wife Julia (21, born Tipton), and their 3 children: Lilian Grace (2, born Tipton), and twins Lois Emma and Julia (3 months, born Tipton).

Personal Data

None Available.

Action resulting in his death

On 24th November 1915 the Germans exploded a mine underneath the South Stafford's trenches in a position known as 'Gibson's Crater', near Cuinchy. The explosion buried 23 men, and although efforts were made to rescue them, 15 were unaccounted for. There were 3 Tipton men killed on the 24th November with the 2nd South Staffs, Privates Arthur Eades, Thomas Nicholas and David Richards. None of the 3 has a known grave, all are commemorated on the Loos Memorial, so could be included in the 15 unaccounted men.

24th November 1915 2nd South Staffs War Diary:
There was some shelling of our line by heavy howitzers during the morning but no damage was done. Mining was suspected under the northern lip of GIBSON'S CRATER, but this was not confirmed by the officer in charge of mining operations who was consulted in the matter. 2/Lieut. E.P.S. BURNETT was wounded by a rifle-grenade in the course of the morning. About 3 pm one company 18th Royal Fusiliers arrived on detachment to the Battalion and relieved 'B' Company. At about 4.30 pm the enemy exploded a mine directly under GIBSON'S CRATER and buried the whole of the garrison with the exception of two men who were blown some distance and killed. 2/Lieut. A.P. PRIOR, who was now in command of 'A' Company, immediately organised and at once commenced the work of rescue and 6 men who had been partially buried were eventually dug out. 2/Lieut. W.H. CARTER, who was sent up from Battalion Headquarters, immediately organised a fresh bombing party and occupied the lip of the crater, where bombing was continued through the night. The crater was subjected to a heavy fire of rifle-grenades and 2/Lieuts A.P. PRIOR and W.H. CARTER were slightly wounded. About 9.30 pm a sudden shower of bombs and rifle-grenades caused our men to evacuate the crater, which was immediately re-occupied.

Harry Carter's M.C.
2nd Lieut W. H. Carter att 2nd Battalion South Staffordshire Regt (London Gazette 23rd Dec 1915) Military Cross:

"For consistent good work throughout the campaign, notably on 24th November 1915"
"The enemy exploded a mine under Gibson's Crater, south of the La Bassée road, killing and wounding most of the garrison. Lieutenant Carter at once went up and commenced reorganising the defence of the crater. He was slightly wounded, but remained at his post, and it was mainly due to his courage and example that two hostile bomb attacks on the crater were repulsed. He also organised a bomb attack on the enemy, thus keeping them quiet for four hours, while the position was consolidated."

Newspaper Cuttings