Private 15295 Abraham Braden

Killed in Action Gallipoli on Monday, 9th August 1915, age 28.
Commemorated on Panel 134 to 136 of Helles Memorial, Turkey.

7th Bn., South Staffordshire Regiment. 33rd Brigade of 11th Division.

Born: Tipton, Enlisted: Wolverhampton, Resident: Woodsetton.

First landed Balkans, 21st July 1915.
Medal entitlement: 1914-15 Star, British War Medal, Victory Medal.
Soldier's Papers at National Archives did not survive.

Commemorated on the Tipton Library, and Woodsetton memorials.
Commemorated here because he appears on a Tipton memorial.

Link to Commonwealth War Graves Site: www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/699229/

Genealogical Data

Birth of Abraham Braden registered September quarter 1886 at Dudley.

1901 Census
Cannot find Abraham Braden

1911 Census
24 Sedgley Road, Swan Village, Woodsetton, Dudley, Worcs.
Boarding with Joseph Dawes (24, Moulder, born Woodsetton), his wife Mary Ann (27, born Tipton), and their 2 children were:
John Braden (32, Boarder, Labourer at Brickworks, born Tipton), and Abraham Braden (24, Boarder, Labourer at Engineering Works, born Tipton).

Personal Data

After Abraham's death, his outstanding army pay and allowances amounted to £2/18/2d (2 pounds, 18 shillings and 2 pence). In March 1916 this was split equally between his brother John, sisters Mrs Sarah Lakin and Mrs Mary A Daws, and half-sisters Mrs Martha Daws and Mrs Florence Wiggam. His War Gratuity was £3/0/0d (3 pounds exactly), this was also split equally between the same 5 people in August 1919. The value of the War Gratuity suggests that Abraham had enlisted in the previous 12 months.

The Pension Card for Abraham Braden shows a Dependant's Pension being paid to Mrs Patience Brotherwood, of 13 Horse Shoe Road, Tipton, in respect of Violet Brotherwood who had been born on 10th July 1914. The pension was 5/0d (5 shillings) per week effective from 4th April 1916. It would seem likely that Abraham was Violet's father.

Action resulting in his death

On August 6th the 7th South Staffs took part in the landings at 'B' beach Suvla Bay, two days later the 7th South Staffs took part in an attack on Chocolate and Scimitar Hill which went disastrously wrong. The 'History of the 7th South Staffs' reports 400 casualties, this is highly likely as 118 Other Ranks and 3 Officers were killed, amongst them 9 Tipton men. Abraham Braden, like all 9 of the Tipton men, has no known grave and is commemorated on the Helles Memorial.

A short extract from the 7th South Staffs War Diary of the events of the 8/9th August written by the Second in command of the 7th South Staffs Lt-Colonel A. Tool:
"Most of that night, the 8/9th, we spent in very slowly working our way back to the 33rd Brigade rendezvous. It was not really a very long way, but the dense scrub necessitated "snake" formation, and every time there was a check, which was very often, men dropped down asleep, and had to be kicked up by the officers.

As far as I can remember we were quite punctual at our rendezvous with the 6/Lincolns on our left, but the Borderers, who should have been on our right, were not in sight, and we were sent off and told that they would join in, which they did later on.

The right of the S.Staffs was to direct the 33rd Brigade on the line "Summit of Scimitar Hill - "W" Hill, and Col. Daukes ordered me to go forward with the leading troops and see that direction was accurately kept. To my horror I saw the companies starting to advance in the column of route, but I quickly ran up and shook them out into artillery formation, We had almost reached Scimitar Hill, the Borderers having come into place, when a Subaltern I was walking beside lit a cigarette and promptly dropped with a bullet in his forehead.

A moment later a Lincoln officer ran up to me and reported that Captain Martin, commanding the company I was with at the moment, was killed and that the Turks were just the other side of Chocolate Hill."

Following information taken from History of the Seventh South Staffordshire Regiment (Ashcroft):
9th August 1915
"At 06.00 we reached Hill 70 and at once came under murderous shrapnel and rifle fire. Every single officer in A & D companies (firing line) and in 'B' company (supporting line) were either killed or wounded in the first 10 minutes. At about 08.00 support arrived from the 10th Division, but even with their assistance no headway could be made. About 10.00 our line began to give way owing to the fact the scrub had caught fire, the Turks aided by this were working around our left. This flanking movement was checked by reinforcements of Dublins and Queens.

The battalion behaved magnificently but were overwhelmed by an enemy who had every position of advantage. On the 10th August, the losses in killed and wounded were computed to be well over 400. For three days, the Staffords and Borderers held an old Turkish communication trench running on to Chocolate Hill, and were then relieved by the 32nd Brigade."

Newspaper Cuttings