Lance Corporal 7780 Isaac Pagett

Pagett Isaac 96 425x600

Pagett Isaac 96 250x579
Memorial photograph courtesy Steve and Margaret Moore, 2014.

Killed in Action on Friday, 6th August 1915, age 30.
Commemorated on Panel 104 to 113 of Helles Memorial, Turkey.

4th Bn., Worcestershire Regiment. 88th Brigade of 29th Division.

Son of the late John and Esther Pagett; husband of Mary Beatrice Chatterton (formerly Pagett), of 113, St. George St., Smethwick, Staffs.
Born: Netherton, Enlisted: Dudley, Resident: Tipton.

First landed France & Flanders, 12th August 1914.
Medal entitlement: 1914 Star, British War Medal, Victory Medal.
Soldier's Papers at National Archives did not survive.

Not commemorated on any Tipton memorial.
Commemorated here because identified as Tipton on 'Soldiers Died in the Great War'.

Link to Commonwealth War Graves Site: www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/689636/

Genealogical Data

1901 Census
52 Round Street, Netherton
John Pagett (56, Coal Miner, born Wolverhampton), his wife Esther (60, born Netherton), and their son Isaac (15, General Labourer, born Netherton).

Marriage of Isaac Pagett and Mary Beatrice Taylor registered in December quarter 1905 at Stourbridge.

1911 Census
278 Dudley Port, Tipton, Staffs.
Isaac Pagett (26, Bricklayer's Labourer - out of work, born Netherton), his wife Mary Beatrice (25, born Oldswinford). They had had a single child who had died.

Mary remarried in September quarter 1916 to Arthur Chatterton, the marriage being registered at Kings Norton.

Personal Data

Isaac Pagett had previously served 3 years in the Worcesters, and was a Reservist with the Worcesters. He was immediately called up and landed in France on the 12th August with the 2nd Worcesters. This made him an original 'Old Contempibles', and he was in action at Mons, and the retreat from Mons, and would have fought at Gheluvelt on 31st October 1914. He was returned to England suffering from bronchitis and received treatment and home leave before returning to a Worcesters battalion in Cornwall.

His chest condition would have most likely afforded him a home-service posting, but he volunteered for service with the 4th Worcesters, and he sailed for Gallipoli on 25th May 1915. Although he was missing after the Battle of Krithia on 6th August 1915, it was March 1916 before his widow was officially told of his death. Isaac has no known grave and is commemorated on the Helles Memorial.

His widow re-married, and it was as Mrs Chatterton of 113 St. George's Street, Smethwick, that she applied for her late husband's medals in January 1919.

After Isaac's death, his outstanding army pay and allowances amounted to £1/11/7d (1 pound, 11 shillings and 7 pence), this was paid to his widow and sole legatee, Mary Beatrice, in May 1916. His War Gratuity was £5/10/0d (5 pounds and 10 shillings), this was also paid to his widow in October 1919, although by this time she had re-married and was Mrs Mary B. Chatterton. The value of the War Gratuity suggests that Isaac had enlisted in approximately August 1914.

Action resulting in his death

Battle for Krithia Vineyard, 6th August 1915.
The 4th Worcesters were in action at Cape Helles in May 1915, but were withdrawn for a few days in a rest camp on Lemnos. They arrived back at 'W' Beach after dark on 28th July and moved to Gully Brach in preparation for action on 6th August. This was to be a subsidiary attack to the main attack from the Anzac area on the mountain of Sari Bair.

The 4th Worcesters, 800 strong, left the beach at 4.00am and moved into the assembly trenches. The Battle for Krithia Vineyard commenced at 2.20pm when the British guns started to fire, and the Turks immediately replied with shrapnel and high-explosive shells bursting all along the trenches.

In a letter written that day Ben Tromans of Cradley Heath described the scene as: "..it was not fit for a fly to get out of the trenches, for the shot and shells were flying everywhere, knocking the sand bags of the top of the trenches which we had to mount to get at the Turks".

At 3.50pm the battalion moved forward in four waves and as they crested a low rise they were cut down and what few men that reached the trenches were overcome by superior numbers of Turks in hand-to-hand fighting.

The casualties of the 4th Worcesters were given in the Regimental History as 16 Officers and 752 NCOs and Men wounded, killed or missing; this from an attacking force of approximately 800 men. During the night of 6th/7th August, a search of no-mans land brought in 300 wounded men. "Soldiers Died in the Great War" records that 359 Other Ranks were killed on 6th August, and many more would die from their wounds in subsequent days.

6 Tipton men were killed in action on that day: William Cooper, Eli Edwards, John Jackson, John Jarvis, Isaac Pagett, and David Summers, none have a known grave and all are commemorated on the Helles Memorial.

Newspaper Cuttings

Tipton Herald 13th February 1915
Lance-Coproral J Pagett (Dudley Port) of the 2nd Worcesters, has been home on sick furlough and in a chat with him one of our representatives has gleaned some interesting facts. Corpl. Pagett was a Reservist, and was called-up at the outbreak of war. For many years he has been a member of the Tipton Habitation of the Primrose League, and has taken many photographs in connection therewith. He only served three years with the Colours, and was for several years in the reserve. He was in the war from the very start in Mons, and remained with the Expeditionary Force until the end of December. It is, of course, well known that in fatalities alone the gallant Worcesters, who left England's shores 4,000 strong, have been more than decimated. Corpl. Pagett was fortunate in sustaining only a slight injury to the leg by shrapnel, and he bandaged it himself. At Ypres, some piece of shrapnel struck him on the head without much hurt. He was invalided home in consequence of bronchitis, and after three of four weeks in hospital returned to Tipton. At Mons he, with his comrades, were the first to be fired upon by the Germans. One of his mates essayed the surmise that there was not a German within twenty miles of them, when without warning, the foe made their presence in the vicinity known by commencing to fire. He took part in five big charges in eight days. In the retreat from Mons, Corpl. Pagett went for four days and nights with one apple, and marched 120 miles in six days.
Of the sight of dead Germans, which was a satisfactory sight, and of the English killed, the Lance-Corporal has had his full share during the five months he was an active participator in the war. He takes credit for having killed a couple of Germans at close quarters. On one occasion he and two or three mates were concealed near a graveyard, and he saw a German officer in the village street ordering his men to bayonet the wounded. As one officer approached close to him, Pagett shot him at a distance of three yards, through the head, and secured his revolver and field glasses as spoils of war. The Corporal gave the revolver to one of his officers, and sent the field glasses, spattered with the German Hun's blood, to his home at Dudley Port. On another occasion he was marching through a village street, on the look-out for Germans concealed in the cottages. He observed a German ill-treating a girl, and as he was emerging from the cottage, Lance-Corporal Pagett, who stood waiting outside, had the satisfaction of bayonetting the brute. Pagett had two bullets through his cap in one day, and finally an exploding shell blew it from his head.

Tipton Herald 18th September 1915
The report has been received that Lance-Corporal I. Pagett (late ot 278 Dudley Port), of the Worcesters, is missing. Corporal Pagett and his wife are members of the Tipton Habitation of the Primrose League, and the former has often photographed the members when out on outings. He proceeded to Belgium at the outbreak of the war, and went through the earlier engagements, but last winter was invalided home as a result of chest weakness, and for a time was quartered in Cornwall. His health improved and he was afterwards able to re-join the Expeditionary Force. While engaged in the first period of the war he had the pleasure of shooting two German officers, one of whom was assaulting a Belgian child. From one of them he captured the brute's revolver and field-glasses, sending the latter home to his wife. The many friends who know Mr & Mrs Pagett will sincerely trust that the former is still in the land of the living, and that he will eventually turn up safe and sound.

Tipton Herald 2nd October 1915
Last week we mentioned that L.Corpl. Isaac Pagett, of Dudley Port, had been officially reported as missing after a battle at the Dardanelles. Corpl. Pagett, who was a reservist in the Worcestershire Regiment, developed a weak chest after entering civil life. However he went with the Expeditionary Force in August 1914, to France, and passed through some exciting experiences.
He was invalided home and proceeded to Cornwall in February last on home service. Being a proficient signaller it is believed that Pagett, whose health was still far from good, volunteered for the Dardanelles whither he sailed on May 25th. His wife did not have the opportunity of seeing him after he left for Cornwall.

Tipton Herald 4th March 1916
After being regarded as missing at the Dardanelles, the death is now reported of L-Corpl. I. Pagett, late of 278 Dudley Port, Tipton. It is now 6 months ago that Mr Pagett was reported as being missing. Being a Reservist he had been in the fighting in France from the commencement, and was invalided home. While recuperating in Cornwall he gallantly volunteered for service at the Dardanelles, and was one of the many thousands who fell victims to the hordes of Turks. Mr Pagett, and his wife, who now resides at 106 High Street, Quarry Bank, were both prominently connected with the Tipton Habitation of the Primrose League.

Tipton Herald 25th March 1916
Another gallant Tipton soldier to meet his end in the late campaign at Gallipoli is Lance-Corporal Isaac Pagett, of Dudley Port. He was a Reservist in the 4th Worcesters, and was called up at the outbreak of the war. He reported to the regiment on August 5th at Worcester, and after going to Aldershot proceeded to France on the 12th of that month. He had the good fortune to shoot a German officer and took possession of the Hun's field-glasses and revolver, sending the former home to his wife. He also shot a German dead who was mistreating a child in a house, when some English advanced unexpectedly into a village. He went through the brunt of the heavy fighting of the first few months of war, and practically escaped unscathed. Unfortunately never of robust physique, the Lance-Corporal suffered from a serious chest ailment, and after being treated at a Field Hospital, was sent to Rouen, thence to Le Havre, and arrived at Netley on December 14th 1914. He was sent to Cadland House, Southampton in January 1915 as convalescent. He returned to Tipton on January 23rd on a month's leave, returning to his regiment at Worcester on February 23rd. From there he was despatched to Antony (Cornwall), near Plymouth.
At the end of April he volunteered for the Dardanelles, and went out on May 25th. The last letter his wife received from him was dated July 28th. In September she received a War Office communication that he was reported as missing after the battle on August 6th. Months went by, and although the poor young widow made constant enquiries, nothing more was heard until she received the news on January 28th of her husband's death.
Lance-Corporal Pagett and his wife were both well known in Tipton as members of the Tipton Habitation of the Primrose League, and the former was welcomed as a photographer in his spare time, having taken portraits of many members. He was a genial and good-natured fellow, and very popular. But for his volunteering for the Dardanelles he would have been retained on home service owing to his chest weakness. He has, therefore, in a double sense sacrificed himself on the altar of duty and the protection of his native land. His widow now resides at 105 High Street, Quarry Bank.