Private 37802 Arthur Morgan

Killed in Action on Thursday, 4th October 1917, age 22.
Commemorated on Panel 90 to 92 and 162 to 162A of Tyne Cot Memorial, Zonnebeke, West-Vlaanderen, Belgium.

7th Bn., South Staffordshire Regiment. 33rd Brigade of 11th Division.

Son of Thomas and Phoebe Morgan, of 14, Furnace Parade, Tipton, Staffs.
Born: Wolverhampton, Enlisted: Tipton, Resident: Tipton.

First landed France & Flanders, post 31st December 1915.
Medal entitlement: British War Medal, Victory Medal.
Soldier's Papers at National Archives did not survive.

Commemorated on the Tipton Library Memorial.
Commemorated here because he appears on a Tipton memorial.

Link to Commonwealth War Graves Site: www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/831382/

Genealogical Data

1901 Census
2 Court 4 House, Old Cross Street, Tipton, Staffs.
Thomas Morgan (35, Miner Underground, born Tipton), his wife Martha (40, born Tipton), and their 4 children: Flora (11, born Tipton), William (9, born Tipton), Arthur (5, born Tipton), and Fred (4 months, born Tipton).

1911 Census
2 Court 4 House, Old Cross Street, Tipton, Staffs.
Thomas Morgan (43, Miner Underground, born Tipton), his wife Martha (48, born Tipton), and 2 of their 3 surviving children of 5: William (20, General Labourer, born Tipton), and Arthur (16, General Labourer, born Tipton).

Personal Data

After Arthur's death, his outstanding army pay and allowances amounted to £2/19/0d (2 pounds and 19 shillings); this was paid to his father, Thomas, in February and May 1918. His War Gratuity was £3/0/0d (3 pounds exactly), this was also paid to his father in November 1919. The value of the War Gratuity suggests that Arthur had enlisted within the previous 12 months.

Action resulting in his death

Arthur was posted to the 7th Battalion, South Staffs. On 4th October 1917 the 7th South Staffs attacked at Poelcapelle as part of the 3rd Battle of Ypres. The attack was moderately successful, but the 7th South Staffs were not allowed to follow-up their success. 42 men of the 7th South Staffs are recorded as being killed in action on the 4th October. Arthur, like most of these men, has no known grave and is commemorated on the Tyne Cot Memorial.

The Battle of Poelcappelle. From "The History of the 7th South Staffs Regiment"
During the night the forming-up tapes were put out, always a trickish job. By 4.40am the battalion was formed up for the attack. Zero hour was timed for 6am precisely, and so we had an hour and 20 minutes to wait on a typical autumn morning in Belgium, with a thin drizzling rain and a cold breeze. As was expected, the enemy put down his accustomed protective barrage just before dawn, but we suffered no losses on the forming-up tapes.
Our barrage opened at 6am precisely, and we were glad to be up and doing after the long, cold, anxious wait. The enemy was resisting by distributing his forces to a great depth; his forward area was mainly defended by small nests in consolidated shell-holes generally supported by one or more machine-guns or else by larger and stronger posts centring round a concrete pill-box defended by machine-gunners.
The first and second objectives were reported captured at 8.55am; casualties had not been severe, and were all due to machine-gun and rifle fire. Further casualties were suffered from snipers and it was hard on our men that they could not go on and exploit their success. At 6.45pm the enemy was seen advancing, but it was a very half-hearted attempt.

Newspaper Cuttings