The Salem Congregational Chapel was a non-denominational chapel which stood in Sheepwash Lane, Great Bridge. The chapel closed in 1972 and was demolished two years later. Salem was an abbreviation for Jerusalem.
After the chapel closed, the memorial was stored in the Salem Hall (since re-named The Hub) which is used by the British Legion. The memorial is now in the care of St. Peter’s Church, Greets Green.
There are 18 names on the memorial including the only woman commemorated on a Tipton memorial - Louisa York who was killed in the zeppelin raid of 31st January 1916.
The memorial is a marble plaque with carved ‘drapes’ at each end, the names are carved and coloured black.
Clicking anywhere on a row will take you to the detail page for that man.
|Surname||Forename||Rank/Number||Regiment||Date of Death|
|Bell||Thomas||Pte 203211||1st/5th South Staffs||26 May 1917|
|Bragginton||Elijah||Pte 38523||1st Hampshire||24 Oct 1918|
|Edmunds||Robert||Pte 38619||1st Lancs Fusiliers||20 Nov 1917|
|Homer||David||Pte 295153||2nd/7th Manchester||22 Oct 1917|
|Homer||Thomas Richard||Pte 36040||4th South Staffs||28 Mar 1918|
|Hope||Bert||Gnr 70890||Royal Artillery||1 Oct 1917|
|Jones||Benjamin||Pte 28327||3rd Worcesters||10 Apr 1918|
|Labais||Henri||Pte 38868||4th South Staffs||11 June 1918|
|Lambert||Edgar Wilfred||L/C R/2002||7th KRRC||24 Sept 1917|
|Sayce||William||Pte 345043||2nd/8th Manchester||8 Oct 1917|
|Stanley||Eustace Charles||Pte 12054||8th South Staffs||5 July 1916|
|Warren||Joseph||Gnr 121501||Royal Artillery||28 July 1917|
|Warren||Percival||Pte M/303104||Army Service Corps||11 Aug 1918|
|Westwood||Arthur||Pte 36981||1st/5th South Staffs||29 Apr 1918|
|Williams||Frederick James||Pte R/9116||2nd KRRC||25 Sept 1915|
|Wilson||Frederick||Pte G/66018||1st/2nd London Battalion||22 Nov 1917|
|Wood||Walter John||Pte 14295||4th Coldstream Guards||1 July 1917|
|York||Louisa||Civilian||Victim of Zeppelin raid||31 Jan 1916|