Private 10576 Daniel Jeavons

 Jeavons Daniel 96 430x600

Died of Wounds Home on Monday, 24th May 1915, age 26.
Buried in Grave B. Ded. 590. at Tipton Cemetery, Staffordshire, United Kingdom.

2nd Bn., Worcestershire Regiment. 5th Brigade of 2nd Division.

Son of David Jeavons, of 10, Boat Row, Tipton, Staffs.
Born: Tipton, Enlisted: Dudley, Resident: Tipton.

First landed France & Flanders, 27th August 1914.
Medal entitlement: 1914 Star, British War Medal, Victory Medal.
Soldier's Papers at National Archives did not survive.

Commemorated on the Tipton Library, and St. Matthew's memorials.
Commemorated here because he appears on a Tipton memorial.

Link to Commonwealth War Graves Site: www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/395349/

Genealogical Data

1901 Census
1 Court 2 House, Boat Row, Tipton, Staffs.
David Jeavons (40, Bricklayer's Labourer, born Tipton), his wife Ellen (36, born Tipton), and their 5 children: William (14, , born Tipton), Daniel (11, born Tipton), Sarah (7, born Tipton), Mary (5, born Tipton), and Hannah (2, born Tipton).

1911 Census
Shaft Barracks, Western Heights, Dover, Kent.
Daniel Jeavons (Private in 3rd Worcesters, 21, Single, born Tipton, Staffs).

1911 Census - his father, now widowed was still living at:
1 Court 2 House, Boat Row, Tipton, Staffs.
David Jeavons (45, Widower, Carter in Coal Trade, born Tipton), and 3 of his surviving 5 children of 8: Sarah (17, At Home, born Tipton), Mary (15, Daily Domestic Servant, born Tipton), and Hannah (12, School, born Tipton).

Personal Data

Daniel Jeavons had served 7 years as a regular soldier, spending time in India. At the outbreak of war, he had just become a Reservist and was immediately called back to the colours and arrived in France on 27th August 1914. He was severely wounded in action in May 1915, and died in hospital in Manchester about 2 weeks later on 24th May.

Daniel is commemorated on St Matthew's Memorial as D Jevons.

Action resulting in his death

If Tipton Herald is correct and Daniel Jeavons was wounded a day or two after his letter of May 9th, then he was possibly wounded by shellfire on May 10th or 11th. Stacke's "The Worcestershire Regiment in the Great War" records that the 2nd Worcesters were in reserve on May 9th for the Battle of Aubers Ridge.

The attack during the day had been unsuccessful, and that evening the 2nd Worcesters received orders to move forward to the line. After a difficult journey through trenches crowded with wounded, they formed up near Rue du Bois for an attack to commence at 11.00am on May 10th. Subsequently this attack was cancelled and the 2nd Worcesters were ordered back to billets near Richebourg St. Vaast where they remained for the next few days. Here they suffered a few casualties from continuous shell fire - May 10th - 3 wounded, May 11th - 3 wounded.

Daniel Jeavons may well have been one of those wounded by shellfire. Daniel was wounded in both legs and was evacuated back to England for treatment, but died from blood poisoning in a hospital in Manchester. He received a military funerla, and is buried in Tipton Cemetery.

Newspaper Cuttings

Tipton Herald 29th May 1915
Private Dan Jeavons, of the Worcesters, whose parents reside at Boat Row, Tipton, died on Monday last at a Manchester hospital, from wounds received in recent fighting. His father received a telegram to say he was wounded in both legs. Blood poisoning rapidly set in, and death resulted. Deceased was about 26 years of age.
A few days ago, Mr S Holloway, of Waterloo Street East, Tipton, received the following letter from the deceased soldier which, in view of his death, will be read with particular interest:-
"May 9th, Just a line to let you know I received your letter, and to thank you and my mates for the fags and chocolate, which I received quite safely. I am pleased to tell you I am still alive, and in good health and excellent spirits. The weather is improving every day, and at the time of writing it is beautiful. The Germans are getting up to some nice tricks with their gas, although up to the present I have not had any personal experience of it. They tried to blow us up by exploding a mine the other day, but they must have calculated the distance wrongly, as it was just in front of our trenches rather than under it, and although we had a few casualties I think they did more harm to themselves than to us. The earth was thrown sky-high in lumps as big as a cart, whilst you could have put a couple of houses in the hole quite easily afterwards. Talk about an earthquake! I am pleased you noticed about the old Worcesters; they will hear more about them yet, and the Bosches will have cause to remember them. I have not seen Joe Perry yet, but of course he may not be in our district. Please remember me to Mr Cooper and Mr Wheeler, and to all at the works, and tell them I send my good wishes. I cannot tell you when this war will end. I wish I could as I have had a decent spell out here, but still I think that with a bit of luck I shall be able to see it out. I saw the start so I should like to see the finish. There are some fine canals in this neighbourhood and I have managed to have a swim. I have been reading about the people going on strike, and I think if their homes were knocked about like some of them out here, they would be willing to work for nothing if by doing so they could help to bring this war to a conclusion. I know everyone has a grievance, but I think they may let them stand over for a while."
Pte. Jeavons, as a youth, worked at the foundry of Messrs J & J Whitehouse, Castle Street, Tipton, and joined the Worcesters seven years ago. He had been stationed out in India, and on leaving on furlough preparatory to going into the Reserve, he worked for a month at his old works. When the war broke out he was immediately mobilised.

Tipton Herald 5th June 1915
The funeral of the late Private Daniel Jeavons, of the 2nd Worcesters, took place on Sunday and created an immense amount of interest at the Tipton Green end of the parish, several thousand persons watching the procession. Private Jeavons had served his full time as an active soldier, and had just passed into the reserve when war broke out in August last. The deceased soldier had seen a great deal of fighting without harm befalling him, and a bright letter written on May 9th from the brave soldier appeared in our columns last week. He was a day or two later badly injured by a shell in both legs, and was brought home and removed to the Manchester Hospital where he succumbed on Monday, 24th May. His relatives were appraised, and his encoffined remains arrived in Tipton on Thursday night. The coffin was placed in a hearse with lighted candles, and the procession to the deceased's parents' residence in Boat Row was watched by a large concourse of people. A military funeral was arranged by Sergt. Kelly, of Tipton, which took place on Sunday.
The coffin, covered with wreaths, left the house at 2pm, the hearse and three mourning coaches being preceded by the Dudley Port Excelsior band playing "The Dead March in Saul", and proceeded the short distance to Park Lane Wesleyan Chapel, where a service was held. The throng outside and in the vicinity of the chapel numbered several thousands, and only about a quarter of the number could be accommodated in the place of worship. The service was taken by the Rev. David Huddleston, the superintendent minister. The organist played "O rest in the Lord" followed by the beautiful hymn "Rock of ages". The minister then read the lesson "Now is Christ risen from the dead", followed by a short address.
The reverend gentleman, in his address, touched upon the bravery of the deceased in being one of those who had died in defence of his country. He paid high tribute to the way in which the deceased soldier and his comrades were serving their country, and spoke out strongly against shirkers who were sheltering themselves behind others. The minister said their departed brother had obtained even a greater victory than could be gained by his victorious comrades. They saw before them the remains of a brave and departed comrade, one of the many who had given more to God than anyone present that day.
The congregation then joined in singing the National Anthem, after which the organist played "The Dead March", and the band played "When I survey the wondrous cross".
The bearers were soldiers from Worcester. The funeral procession then reformed. The band came first, playing the Dead March, after which was the coffin, enfolded in the Union Jack, and followed by a firing party of six with rifles reversed. Other soldiers in khaki followed, and there were the Tipton Boy Scouts and the Tipton Volunteer Training Corps, under the command of Mr Oliver Howl. After the mourning coaches came a procession of the deceased soldier's former fellow workmen at the works of Messrs J & J Whitehouse.
The whole procession was headed by several hundred civilians, and there was another large concourse of spectators at the cemetery. The firing party fired three volleys over the grave, and the buglers sounded the Last Post.


The expense of the military funeral on Sunday last at Tipton was defrayed by subscriptions collected by the recruiting officer (Sergeant Kelly), the following subscribing :- Dr and Mrs H.C. Brown, Mr Oliver Brown, Mrs McDadd, Miss Jones, Mrs Chatwin, Mrs Brown (Dudley Road), Miss Brown, Mr Ewing, Mrs Cadman, Mr Lister, Mrs Jones, Mr Padbury, Mr A.W. Maconochie, Mr Church, Mr Harrison, Mr Rupert Stanton, Mr Richards, Mr Kendrick, Mr Stainton, Mr Perrins, Mrs Burchill, Miss Smith, Mrs Taylor, Messrs C Round, Baker, Hartland, Clay and Kenton. Among the wreaths was one from Mrs H C Brown of red, white and blue flowers.


A military funeral in Tipton is such a novelty that the huge crowd of people that assembles is detrimental to the good order and decorum associated with the sacredness of a burial ground. On Sunday last, the scene at the cemetery witnessed a fortnight earlier (for Pte Samuel Bellingham), was repeated to an even greater extent. A swarm of people, variously estimated at from three to four thousand, waited outside the cemetery gates for the approach of the procession from Tipton Green, which itself numbered fully three thousand persons including the recognised bodies of band, military, Volunteer Training Corps, Scouts and workmen.
The gates were opened by the superintendent to let the procession pass through, and he closed them after it had passed. The immense concourse of people who had gathered, felt they had the right to see the final obsequies - the firing of the rifles and the bugle notes of "The Last Post" are more interesting than the ceremony at an ordinary internment - and so scores of people pushed at the somewhat fragile gates at the entrance, a tiny chain snapped, and they burst forward. The crowd broke through - many scores of persons were already clambering over the low wall surrounding the cemetery and at least a thousand persons gained the cemetery ground to add to the throng already assembled. In such a large assembly of humanity, in its anxiety to get near the grave, one can easily understand that there were many people who ran in the most ruthless manner over the graves, trampling flowers and other decorations underfoot. The police at the gates, numbering in all about eight, were quite powerless to keep the crowds back.
There can be no doubt that the general custom pertaining elsewhere, when a very large crowd assembles at the cemetery entrance, is to deny them admittance. This can only be done by erecting strong gates, and by taking such other precautions as will suggest themselves to the Burial Board. There can be no doubt that the greatest reverence was shown by the great crowds of people outside and inside Park Lane Wesleyan Chapel, in Owen Street, and on the way to the cemetery. Such an immense crowd of people has not been seen in Tipton Green on any previous occasion.