Lance Corporal 15289 Harold Hodgkinson

Hodgkinson Harold 96 526x600

Killed in Action Gallipoli on Sunday, 8th August 1915, age unknown.
Commemorated on Panel 134 to 136 of Helles Memorial, Turkey.

7th Bn., South Staffordshire Regiment. 33rd Brigade of 11th Division.

Son of Mr John and Mrs Lucy Hodgkinson, of Factory Road, Tipton, Staffs. Husband of Mrs Nellie Hogkinson.
Born: Tipton, Enlisted: Wednesbury, Resident: Tipton.

First landed Balkans, 21st July 1915.
Medal entitlement: 1914-15 Star, British War Medal, Victory Medal.
Soldier's Papers at National Archives did not survive.

Commemorated on the Dudley Clock Tower Memorial.
Commemorated here because identified as Tipton on 'Soldiers Died in the Great War'.

Link to Commonwealth War Graves Site: www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/691800/

Genealogical Data

1891 Census
25 New Cross Street, Tipton, Staffs.
John Hodgkinson (36, Stable Manager, born Tipton), his wife Lucy C. (37, born Dudley), and their 5 children: John E. (13, Office Boy, born Tipton), Henry E. (11, Scholar, born Tipton), Charles (9, Scholar, born Tipton), Alice J. (5, Scholar, born Swan Village), and Frank (2, born Tipton).

1901 Census
31 Factory Road, Tipton, Staffs.
John Hodgkinson (46, Manager of Stables, born Tipton), his wife Lucy C. (46, born Dudley), and their 7 children: John E. (23, Head Brewer, born Tipton), Harry E. (21, Candlestick Turner, born Tipton), Charles (19, Blast Furnace Fitter, born Tipton), Alice J. (15, born Swan Village), Frank (12, born Tipton), Christine (8, born Tipton), and Leonard (5, born Tipton).

1911 Census
11 Bloomfield Terrace, Tipton, Staffs.
Harry Hodgkinson (32, Axle Tree Grinder at Patent Shaft, born Tipton), his wife Nellie (28, born Dudley), and their 2 surviving children of 4: Beatrice (8, born Tipton), and Edna (5, born Tipton).

Personal Data

None Available.

Action resulting in his death

On August 6th the 7th South Staffs took part in the landings at 'B' beach Suvla Bay, two days later the 7th South Staffs took part in an attack on Chocolate and Scimitar Hill which went disastrously wrong. The 'History of the 7th South Staffs' reports 400 casualties, this is highly likely as 10 men were killed on the 8th August, and 121 on the 9th August. Harold Hodgkinson was one of 2 Tipton men killed on the 8th August, neither has known grave and are commemorated on the Helles Memorial.

A short extract from the 7th South Staffs War Diary of the events of the 8/9th August written by the Second in command of the 7th South Staffs Lt-Colonel A. Tool:
"Most of that night, the 8/9th, we spent in very slowly working our way back to the 33rd Brigade rendezvous. It was not really a very long way, but the dense scrub necessitated "snake" formation, and every time there was a check, which was very often, men dropped down asleep, and had to be kicked up by the officers.

As far as I can remember we were quite punctual at our rendezvous with the 6/Lincolns on our left, but the Borderers, who should have been on our right, were not in sight, and we were sent off and told that they would join in, which they did later on.

The right of the S.Staffs was to direct the 33rd Brigade on the line "Summit of Scimitar Hill - "W" Hill, and Col. Daukes ordered me to go forward with the leading troops and see that direction was accurately kept. To my horror I saw the companies starting to advance in the column of route, but I quickly ran up and shook them out into artillery formation, We had almost reached Scimitar Hill, the Borderers having come into place, when a Subaltern I was walking beside lit a cigarette and promptly dropped with a bullet in his forehead.

A moment later a Lincoln officer ran up to me and reported that Captain Martin, commanding the company I was with at the moment, was killed and that the Turks were just the other side of Chocolate Hill."

Following information taken from History of the Seventh South Staffordshire Regiment (Ashcroft):
9th August 1915
"At 06.00 we reached Hill 70 and at once came under murderous shrapnel and rifle fire. Every single officer in A & D companies (firing line) and in 'B' company (supporting line) were either killed or wounded in the first 10 minutes. At about 08.00 support arrived from the 10th Division, but even with their assistance no headway could be made. About 10.00 our line began to give way owing to the fact the scrub had caught fire, the Turks aided by this were working around our left. This flanking movement was checked by reinforcements of Dublins and Queens.

The battalion behaved magnificently but were overwhelmed by an enemy who had every position of advantage. On the 10th August, the losses in killed and wounded were computed to be well over 400. For three days, the Staffords and Borderers held an old Turkish communication trench running on to Chocolate Hill, and were then relieved by the 32nd Brigade."

Newspaper Cuttings

Tipton Herald 20th November 1915
Mr Joseph Evans (son-in-law of Mr J Hodgkinson, Factory Road, Tipton), a mechanician in the Royal Navy, has been awarded the General Service Medal with clasp for service in the Persian Gulf on HMS Persephone. He is now engaged on another vessel in the North Sea. Mrs Evans also has three brothers in the Army. Harry Hodgkinson of the 7th South Staffords, who joined the Army in September 1914, is one of those reported missing at the Dardanelles. He was employed at the Patent Shaft; Charles Hodgkinson, of the Worcesters is a military instructor now doing duty in England; while his brother Frank is serving with the Royal Field Artillery in France.

Editor's Note: Petty Officer Joseph Evans drowned when HMS Hampshire which hit a mine in Scapa Flow and sank. The most illustrious casualty was Lord Kitchener, the Secretary of State for War.