Lance Bombardier 681619 Arthur Haynes

Haynes Arthur 96 480x600Haynes Arthur 96 367x600
Photograph courtesy of Arthur's grand-daughter Judith Jarvis.

Died Home on Sunday, 21st December 1919, age 33.
Buried in Grave B. "C." 425. at Tipton Cemetery, Staffordshire, United Kingdom.

Royal Field Artillery.

Husband of Eliza Julia Haynes, of 20, Railway St, Horseley Heath, Tipton.
Born: Tipton, Enlisted: West Bromwich, Resident: Tipton.

First landed France & Flanders, 9th August 1917.
Medal entitlement: British War Medal, Victory Medal.
Soldier's Papers at National Archives survived and transcribed.

Not commemorated on any Tipton memorial.
Commemorated here because identified as Tipton on Commonwealth War Graves site.

Link to Commonwealth War Graves Site: www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/395346/

Genealogical Data

1891 Census
271 Dudley Port, Tipton, Staffs.
Elijah Haynes (33, Coal Miner, born Tipton), his wife Eliza Jane (38, born Dudley), and their 5 children: Amelia (10, born Tipton), Arthur (5, born Tipton), Maude (4, born Tipton), Clara (2, born Tipton), and Jessie (1, born Tipton).

1901 Census
36 Railway Street, Tipton, Staffs.
Elijah Haynes (44, Colliery manager, born Dudley), his wife Eliza Jane (46, born Dudley), and their 7 children: Amelia (21, born Tipton), Arthur (15, Coal Hewer - Underground, born Tipton), Maude (14, born Tipton), Clara (12, born Tipton), Jessie (11, born Tipton), Horace (5, born Tipton), and Miriam (4, born Tipton).

Marriage of Arthur Haynes and Eliza Blacker on 3rd March 1907. Occupation: Miner at Park Lane Colliery.

1911 Census
2 Court 1 House, Railway Street, Tipton, Staffs.
Arthur Haynes (25, Coal Miner - Pikeman, born Tipton), his wife Eliza Julia (25, born Kate's Hill, Dudley), and their daughter: Mary Elizabeth (3, born Tipton).
A son, Arthur, was born 25th February 1914.

Personal Data

Arthur Haynes enlisted with the 3rd North Midland Brigade, Royal Field Artillery (RFA), on 16th November 1914. He served with the 2/6th South Staffs Brigade RFA before transferring to the 286th Brigade in 57th (2nd West Lancs) Division, arriving in Le Havre on 10th February 1917.

In March 1917 Arthur was in hospital with scabies. He was soon back in England, in April 1917 he was suffering from inflamed glands in the groin and sent from the 2nd Australian General Hospital at Wimereux to England on Hospital Ship Cambria.

It was 6 months before Arthur returned to France on 14th October 1917, when he seems to have been allocated to 187th Brigade RFA with 41st Division. In November they were sent to the Italian Front for 4 months where they seemed to have an easy time with no significant action. In March 1918 they returned to France and served in France and Belgium until the end of the war.

On 31st December 1918 Arthur embarked on SS Princess Victoria heading to Ripon for an early de-mobilisation because of his occupation as a miner at Park Lane Colliery. He was de-mobilised on 28th January 1919 having a total Army Service 4 years and 74 days of which Overseas Service accounted for 1 year and 146 days. He had served in France for 4 months, Belgium for 9 months and Italy for 4 months.

Action resulting in his death

Although on his de-mobilisation Arthur had said he had no health problems, this was not true. From 13th August 1919 to 27th September 1919 he was an in-patient at Dudley Guest Hospital, and then appeared before a Medical Board at Wolverhampton on 6th November 1919. He complained of pain in his back and shortness of breath and said that he thought his medical problems started in Winter 1917 from exposure, after he returned to the front after being wounded.

The examining doctor thought he looked pale with a yellowish complexion, and in generally poor condition with signs of anaemia. His disability was recorded as Valvular Disease of the Heart noted as "Constitutional", that is not as a result of war service although aggravated by it. The condition was thought to have a duration of 6 months - he died within 6 weeks. He was awarded a conditional pension of 27 shillings and 6 pence per week retrospectively from 12th July 1919 to 2nd September 1919, and then 40 shillings per week for 36 weeks. This was approved on 22nd December, he had died on the previous day. Arthur is buried in Tipton Cemetery.

Newspaper Cuttings