Private G/72705 Thomas Green

Green Thomas 72705 96 368x600 Green Thomas 72705 96 450x600

Killed in Action on Thursday, 29th August 1918, age 19.
Buried in Grave II. A. 22. at Peronne Road Cemetery, Maricourt, Somme, France.

1st/24th Bn., County of London Battalion TF (The Queen's). 142nd Brigade of 47th Division.
Formerly 48471 South Staffordshire Regiment.

Son of Mr and Mrs Benjamin Green, of 31 Old Cross Road, Tipton, Staffs.
Born: Tipton, Enlisted: Tipton, Resident: Tipton.

First landed France & Flanders, post 31st December 1915.
Medal entitlement: British War Medal, Victory Medal.
Soldier's Papers at National Archives did not survive.

Commemorated on the Tipton Library Memorial.
Commemorated here because he appears on a Tipton memorial.

Link to Commonwealth War Graves Site: www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/310957/

Genealogical Data

1901 Census
7 Old Cross Street, Tipton, Staffs.
Benjamin Green (31, Coal Miner - Cager, born Oldbury), his wife Mary J. (27, born Tipton), and their 3 children: Eliza (7, born Tipton), Thomas (2, born Tipton) and William (3 months, born Tipton).

1911 Census <<< no trace of Thomas living with his parents at...
31 Old Cross Street, Tipton, Staffs.
Benjamin Green (40, Coal Miner - Hewer, born Tipton), his wife Mary Jane (36, born Tipton), and 3 of their 5 surviving children of 11: William (10, School, born Tipton), Martha (6, School, born Tipton), and Benjamin (3, born Tipton).

But just a few doors away at...
27 Old Cross Street, Tipton, Staffs.
Boarding with Edward and Maria Edwards was: Thomas Green (12, School, born Tipton).

Personal Data

After Thomas's death, his outstanding army pay and allowances amounted to £3/0/0d (3 pounds exactly), this was paid to his father, Benjamin, in January 1919. His War Gratuity was also £3/0/0d (3 pounds exactly), this was paid to his father in December 1919. The value of the War Gratuity suggests that Thomas had enlisted within in the 12 months prior to his death.

Action resulting in his death

Thomas Green left England for France on 19th August, just days after the start of the series of war-winning battles known as “The 100 Days”. Sadly, he was killed on the 29th August, a mere 11 days after sailing for France.

Thomas was to join the 1/24th Queens who had been in action on the 22nd August, just north of Bray-sur-Somme. After this partially successful action, the 1/24th Queens was withdrawn for rest, refitting, and reinforcement from the Divisional camp. It is likely that this was the time that Thomas joined his unit.

On 29th August the 1/24th Queens returned to the line; this had advanced about 6 miles eastwards and was now just west of Maurepas. The advance was to continue eastwards, with 1/24th Queens commencing at 6 a.m. on 30th August. The day was relatively successful, but a newly-arrived German Division stalled further progress.

This action was on the 30th August when 1/24th Queens had 15 men killed. Thomas is recorded as having been killed on the previous day, 29th August, he was the only man of the 1/24th killed that day.

It is possible that Thomas never saw offensive action. It is likely that he joined his battalion after their action of 22nd August, and was killed on the 29th August, possibly during the move forward to the front line.

This theory is made more plausible as his original place of burial was near Maricourt, 3 miles before Maurepas where the advance was to begin. In October 1919, Thomas’s remains were exhumed and reburied just 800 yards away in Peronne Road Cemetery, Maricourt.

Newspaper Cuttings

Tipton Herald 12th October 1918
Private Thomas Green.
The death in action on August 29th has just been reported of Private Thomas Green, who would have attained his 20th birthday on the 1st of the present month. Before joining the forces, he worked in the Bloomsmithies Colliery. He joined the Army in April last, and embarked from an English port on 19th August 1918. He was killed after being only 10 days in France. He joined the 3rd South Staffs, but when he reached the base in France, he was transferred to the 24th Royal West Surrey Regiment, and was immediately pushed up to the front.
His parents reside at 31 Old Cross Street, Tipton Green. The deceased soldier's father, Benjamin Green, is one of those patriotic miners who joined up when there was a big call early in 1915 for experienced miners for the Army. He worked at Cotterill's Farm Colliery (Messrs Barker's), Toll End, and entered the Royal Engineers when 45 years of age, on August 9th 1915. Ten days later he proceeded to France, and in the following May was wounded. He afterwards was seized with pleurisy and returned to England on October 15th 1917. After some weeks at Liverpool Hospital, he had 10 days leave in Tipton in January of the present year, afterwards proceeding to Chatham. He was discharged from the Army in May last and again follows his trade as a miner. He was born at Round's Green near Oldbury. One of his younger sons is a miner, while the third is at school.